Packing a small emergency kit and keeping it in a safe place at home will stand you in good stead in a wide range of emergency situations. Your kit should be kept in a waterproof bag and it should include:
- Your household emergency plan, including emergency contact numbers.
- A battery operated torch and spare batteries (or a wind up torch)
- A battery operated radio and spare batteries (or a wind up radio)
- Mobile phone charger
- Any essential medication, some toiletries and a first aid kit
- Three days' supply of bottled water and ready to eat food (that won't go off)
- Copies of important documents like insurance policies and birth certificates, in case you need to locate these quickly or prove your identity
- Pencil, paper, a penknife and a whistle
- Spare keys to your home and car
- Spare glasses or contact lenses
Think about what else is important for you and your family to get by during an emergency, e.g.
- Pet supplies
- Food supplies
- Formula/baby food