If it's cold outside, you need to be warm inside. Here are some tips for keeping safe and warm:
- If you can't heat all your rooms, make sure you keep your living room warm throughout the day and heat your bedroom before going to bed.
- A balanced diet will help keep you warm and healthy in the winter. Make sure you and your family eat at least one hot meal a day. Soup is nutritious and warming, and inexpensive to make or buy.
- Wearing the right kind of clothes can help keep you much warmer. Layers are best, t-shirts and under clothes to keep the base of your back warm will heat you from the core.
- If you are out walking, such as returning home from a night out, make sure someone knows your route and when you should be expected at your destination. This is especially important if you are walking home alone.
- Staying active is good for your health. If the weather prevents you from getting outside, stay active indoors - catch up on all the household tasks you've been putting off!
- Talk - especially if you've been stuck in the house for a few days. Lift the phone and call friends and family for a blether.
- If you have elderly relatives or neighbours who might need help, please check up on them. You can get a warm feeling inside by ensuring they are warm on the outside.