People venturing out into Scotland's hills and mountains are advised to take care and be prepared.
While Scotland has world-class hills and mountains on our doorstep, to fully enjoy them it is essential to be prepared at all times.
Here are some top tips
- Check the local weather forecast - as conditions can change suddenly - plan ahead and have the correct safety equipment before heading off.
- Localised forecasts are available on the Mountain Weather Information Service website.
- Tell someone where you are going, what your route is and how long you expect to be on the hill.
- Whether going for a relaxing walk or for a challenging climb, be ready to cope with changing ground and weather conditions.
- Don't travel in hazardous areas. Be aware of the avalanche risk in mountain areas - check the SAIS website for information.
- Consider joining a hill walking or mountaineering club where advice and access to experience and knowledge is available.
Sportscotland Avalanche Information Service (SAIS) website
Mountaineering Council of Scotland (MCofS) website